The Many Benefits of Eye Cream
Eye cream is a staple that eventually makes its way into practically everyone’s beauty arsenal. It’s probably one of the first anti-aging products you ever bought, and it keeps the delicate skin around your eyes hydrated and firm.
Whether you’re an eye cream aficionado or a total newbie, we’ll help you learn everything you need to know about this magical potion and how it can transform your eyes from tired to fabulous with just a swipe. Read on.
Why should I use an eye cream?
Eye creams are useful for people of any age, and the sooner you begin using one, the more you’ll see benefits. Eye creams can be formulated for any concern you have with your fragile eye skin. Speaking of that skin, it’s very different from the skin on the rest of your body.
- Eye skin is extremely thin—the thinnest of any skin found on your body. It measures only 0.22 mm thick on some people.
- Eyelid skin doesn't have as many sebaceous glands as the skin on other parts of your face, making it difficult for this skin to stay properly hydrated.
The skin near your eyes needs special attention and care, and eye cream is just the tool for the job. Here’s how it works.
Helps reduce puffiness
Puffy skin under the eyes can happen for numerous reasons. As you age, you might notice the skin beneath your eyes starting to become less elastic. This is a normal part of the aging process due to less collagen and elastin production.
It’s not just aging, though. If you’re in your twenties, you might still experience puffiness from time to time. Fluid pools in the area under your eyes while you sleep, which can cause puffiness and dark circles when you wake up. You can also experience puffiness after a good cry (that season finale hit everyone in the feels, don’t worry).
Eye cream that helps reduce puffiness may contain ingredients like caffeine and antioxidants to help depuff your eyes in record time.
Helps minimize dark circles
Whether you earned them from a late-night study sesh, a sleepless night, or just inherited them (thanks, Mom), dark circles can make you constantly appear tired and fatigued.
You may also have darker areas under your eyes simply because the skin is so thin. Because of the thinness of the skin, the blood vessels under your eyes appear darker than they do on other parts of your face.
Eye creams work to reduce the appearance of dark circles, so you can skip a few layers of concealer and avoid raccoon eyes. Look for formulas that contain hyaluronic acid and glycerin. These two ingredients help hydrate your skin, keeping it plump and masking dark circles.
Helps reduce the appearance of fine lines
The eye area is one of the first places we usually notice the signs of aging. Crow’s feet, fine lines, and deep wrinkles can combine with a loss of elasticity to make us appear older than we actually are. Combine that with a little sun damage, and you’ve basically got the perfect under-eye storm.
Eye creams are probably most popular for their anti-aging properties. Known to boost collagen production and help increase skin’s firmness and hydration with the right combo of ingredients, eye creams can help take years off your face with powerful ingredients, like retinol, without ever seeing a surgeon. Three cheers for anti-aging benefits without a scalpel!
Helps even skin tone
Sun exposure affects all skin types, and the damage done to your delicate eye area can be hard to hide. Uneven skin tone is a problem for many people in their eye areas. Sunlight can change the pigmentation of your skin, causing this delicate area to appear red or darker than the rest of your skin.
A vitamin C eye cream can help brighten your under-eye area and help create a more even-looking appearance.
Helps prepare your skin for makeup
The area under your eyes probably sees more concealer than anywhere else on your face. The use of a proper eye cream can help eliminate the need for additional layers of concealer and give you a more natural look.
A rapidly absorbing eye cream with emollient ingredients, like vitamin E, helps to fill in rough areas, lines, and wrinkles, which will help your makeup apply more evenly.
At what age should I start using eye cream?
You should start using an eye cream when you are today years old. Seriously. The sooner you begin incorporating the use of eye cream in your skincare routine, the better.
Even if you don’t deal with eye bags, dark circles, or fine lines, your skin will benefit from the moisturizing and nourishing ingredients in your eye cream.
How do I choose an eye cream?
One look on a store shelf, and it’s clear: there are at least a gazillion eye creams available. It’s tough to know which one is right for you.
First and foremost, you know it has to be cruelty-free. Cruelty-free eye creams give you results without involving animals in any part of product development.
The Kinder Beauty team put together a list of their favorite eye creams. Here’s which ones top our list.
It firms, it smooths, and it features a blend of peptides to help boost collagen production. As if that wasn’t enough, you’ll also get hydration from cucumber extract and niacinamide to help reduce the appearance of dark circles and depuff eye bags.
Done and done. Veriphy’s 20/20 Eye Cream is award-winning, plant-based, and cruelty-free.
This brand is a Kinder Beauty fave, and they offer four separate eye creams so you can hone in on specific needs.
- Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream does for your eyes what your morning coffee does for your soul—awakens, lifts, and brightens.
- Retinol PM Eye Cream helps skin cells turn over faster, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, so you wake up a day younger instead of older.
- Multi-Vitamin + Antioxidants PM Eye Treatment is an ideal treatment for overnight use. Wake up to brighter, tighter eyes … even if you only got a few winks.
- Super Fruit Oil Nourishing Eye Cream is one of the best eye creams for dry skin. It deeply hydrates to keep the skin around your eyes moisturized for hours.
No matter your eye issue, 100% Pure has the solution.
Pacifica Beauty’s Vegan Collagen Recovery Eye Cream contains plant botanicals, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and plant-based collagen to help restore the under-eye area. We love this product for masking fatigue, eliminating dryness, and restoring a youthful look to the entire eye area.
Andalou Naturals also offers numerous different eye creams categorized by your specific need.
- Brightening Luminous Eye Serum. This lightweight formula has a heavy-hitting ingredients list packed with fruit stem cells, vitamin C, glycopeptides, and enzymes to help build the dermal layer under your eye and support your skin’s structure.
- Age-Defying Deep Wrinkle Dermal Filler. Fruit stem cell complex and CoQ10 help make this eye cream a go-to for filling in deep wrinkles under the eyes.
- Quenching Coconut Water Eye Lift Cream. Coconut water and green coffee (unroasted coffee beans) work as moisturizers for your eyes, keeping them hydrated and balanced, even if you have oily skin.
- Sensitive 1000 Roses Eye Revive Contour Gel. Gentle and free from irritants, even the most sensitive skin can benefit from this eye gel that contains aloe vera to help with puffiness.
- Cannacell D.Puff Eye Cream. Hemp stem cells and hemp seed oil help maintain moisture balance, decrease puffiness, and provide exceptional moisture to your eye area. The best part is you don’t need a medical marijuana card to use it.
- Age-Defying Rejuvenating Plant-Based Retinol Alternative Eye Balm. Gentle and fragrance-free, this eye cream features a plant-based retinol compound to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Deep Hydration Reviving Eye Cream. Clinically proven to smooth the skin around the eyes and visibly reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles, this plant-based eye cream provides essential hydration and uses vegan collagen and plant stem cells to restore a youthful appearance to delicate eye skin.
Easy on the eyes
Both aging and external factors can cause your eyes to look tired, swollen, or dark. An eye cream is the best tool in your beauty arsenal to reduce under-eye swelling, lighten up under-eye skin, and restore youth and vitality to the entire eye area.
The Kinder Beauty Blog is packed with information about eye care products, and we also feature new, cruelty-free eye creams and serums frequently in The Kinder Beauty Box. If you can’t wait, check out The Kinder Beauty Marketplace for instant gratification.
Give your eyes the treatment they deserve and treat yourself to the best cruelty-free and monthly beauty surprise with Kinder Beauty.
Sources:Hyaluronic acid: A key molecule in skin aging | NCBI